now browsing by tag
Someone once said ‘words are cheap’, but I completely disagree. Words are powerful they can make someone laugh, cry and stir emotions we never knew existed.
Remember the last time you read a book that completely enthralled you as though taking you to another place. You were invested in the characters, there was a relationship that evolved as the book developed.
So why is it different when it comes to business?
I recently read a couple of major estate agents ‘new and improved’ brochures. The design was beautiful, the images were gorgeous, it really was a wonderful first impression. But when I started to read the content I felt uninspired. I wanted to feel a connection with the company, I wanted to understand their ethos, their passion and what their services could offer me as a client. Sadly I walked away disappointed as though I had been given a wonderful gift that was exquisitely wrapped, that just breathed luxury. You start to open with in-trepidation, wondering what wonders await you, only to be greeted by an empty box.
I have loved following the journey of my friend, Liz Ackerley, as she has started sharing some of her sketches on Facebook. Now this is something you would never catch me doing, why? because I can’t draw, doodle yes! I do a mean doodle a flower and square box – wow I’m talented! My point is not everyone can draw and not everyone can write.
Like drawing, writing is a skill.
Over the last couple of weeks I have been putting together the content for my brochure (which should be available soon). Even as a content writer I found this a difficult process. It is hard when you are immersed within something to be able to turn your thoughts into words. All my clients are experts in their field, they are award winners, are highly respected and extremely sort after, but one thing they have in common is admitting when they need help in an area of their business. Even though they are the best at what they do, they know that they are unable to express it creatively, passionately and expertly into words. They know by investing in someone to turn their thoughts into valuable content, they have made a valuable investment in their business.
Every piece of content you deliver, whether its your website, brochure or blog post it is a reflection of your company. Does your content reflect who you really are? Is it engaging your clients? And more importantly is it engaging potential clients?
My Top 5 Reasons why you should Invest in Content
- It can have a real impact on your customer loyalty. Customers are far more likely to remain loyal to a company that they feel they have a relationship with.
- You become the expert, ahead of your competition. To be seen as an expert you need valuable content that people want to share. The more sharing you have, the more you are seen as a person of influence in the field and the more people will want to listen, thus you become the expert. This sets you ahead of your competition.
- Customer Engagement. Content has the potential to engage your customers at every step of process.
- Your Image. How do you want your client audience to perceive you? The words you choose will create an immediate opinion in the minds of your clients.
- Because it works! There is a direct correlation from valuable content to increased client engagement and in turn into sales.
Are you making the right first impression with your content?